Imagine by John Lennon as sung on American Idol by Joshua Ledee Rant

Imagine, By John Lennon post Beatles, was once again, for the umpteenth time in my life, held up to the world by a christian, in this case American Idol's Joshua Ledet, as a song where Jennifer Lopez as judge, shortly after his return home segment had him singing in church, identified as Joshua was "preaching."  I have been bothered by this for a long time so now I am going to vent.  I LOVE John Lennon music, during and post Beatles.  I cry when I think of what Mark Chapman took away from us that fateful night in New York.  The words to this song, printed below, are beautiful, heartfelt, and honest ...and SO SIMPLE and easy to understand.  Like All You Need Is Love, its just so simple to say it, rhyme it, and put a beautiful piano melody and John's lovely voice to exemplify it.  But please people, this is NOT a song that has anything to do with religion of any kind, and in fact sets forth in it's first verse, that to get to it's conclusion, that the world should be as one, we apparently have to imagine *(and one would think participate in) a world with no religion.  It's just that it's not "easy if you try," nor will it ever be. 

Imagine is the beautiful song and the most touching song we could ever think of to imagine a better world without selfishness and governments who send their young to die in wars between governments that have little if anything to do with the heart beating inside the soldiers body and the family who may have to bury him.  IF the world is to be as one, lots has to change and that is not foreseeable in anyone living today's lifetime.  In fact, the only hope for that possibility, dare I say, is an earth shattering RELIGIOUS (dare I say CHRISTIAN) common experience.  Those of us who know God in any way through any religion, know that world peace in our lifetime is hopeless without His intervention.  Love the song, sing the song, believe in the dreams of John Lennon and everyone ever touched by this song.  But never say to a christian that it's like preaching. And the bottom line is this.  Not only is a song that I love (in it's proper context) is a song that I would characterize as the Atheist National Anthem.

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace


You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world

You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will live as one

No comments: