Eddie And The Cruisers is a Yearly Guilty Pleasure

I had a chance to see Michael Pare in Eddie and the Cruisers as one of the first things I saw on my new Vizio.  It was a great reminder of how MUCh the music in the movie sounded soooo much like Bruce Springsteen music...not just influcenced, but I believe directly and purposely copied directly from the Stone Pony in Asbury Park. It's not just that John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band resemble Springsteen vocally, but also, the music seems to have riffs directly lifted from the likes of Roy Bittan ....a scene in a bar where the piano is just being tinkled around on and it sounds exactly like the backing that Bittan would give The Boss on one of his storytelling escapades mid concert.  Wild Summer Nights and On The Darkside could easily be fit in between any of the songs on Darkness on the Edge Of Town, or The River, and even Betty Lou's Got A New Pair Of Shoes sounds like an upbeat Springsteen flipside or even a concert cover in the spirit of Quarter To Three.  Eddie And The Cruisers is SOOO cheezy ...but I list it as my guilty pleasure movie year in and year out.  

No comments: